Friday, June 03, 2005

Discrimination against Linux???

Last Wednesday I went to Mangga Dua Mall. I intended to buy external harddisk case for a 3.5 " hard disk as a companion for my notebook if I need extra space. If I buy an external hard disk, the price is quite expensive. At one store I finally found an interesting model of my taste , the brand is Smart-drives. It looked nice and made of aluminum. The written description box explaining that this device is suitable for Mac OS, Win 98SE, Win XP, Win ME and Win 2000. Linux? Although not written there if this device can be used in Linux but I believe that this can be used in Linux. After haggling the price, eventually this stuff was in a plastic bag and I brought home.

This morning I had the opportunity to try it on Linux. After all installed according to instructions and plugged the power cord, then the power button was pressed. Then I opened a Konsole in Mandrakelinux 10.1 on my system. Then I mounted / dev/sda1 because this device associated to it. Without magical spell, the contents of the harddisk can be read. Alhamdulillah.

This is not the first experience using a device that is not written in his statement to Linux. The same experience I had when I bought pcmcia wireless (WiFi pcmcia). All could work satisfactorily. We need not be afraid to buy a device that is not written to be used in Linux. In fact many devices that can run under Linux, though not written that way.

What indication is
this? Does the vendor did not try to run on Linux? Or is there discrimination against Linux?

If they tried to use it in Linux and write in the box will make sure that Linux users buy more.

No comments: